Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Blog? What Blog?

Whoops!  I guess the summer is getting away from me.  I didn't mean to slack off here so much.  But, you know...summer, right?

We took a very tiny trip to Indiana to see my BFF from high school (whom I've not seen in about four years) and another BFF from high school and wow--my brother also happened to be in the 'hood!  And since my Grandmother has not felt well enough to see us, I went to see her.  Wish we could have spent more time there....



Out with my Dad.

 
BFFs!

Grandma and her great-grandbabies.

Gaggle of kids (Hey, where's Mary?)

Pathetic that I still don't have all the pics downloaded yet.  Although the camera was away from me for part of the trip, so I only got one pic of my brother and none of my mother.  :-(

The kids finally got their school lists and teacher assignments, and we spent a morning at Target digging out the last of the purple folders.  Since I had a stash of a few supplies I'd been picking up here and there, I actually managed to get it all done in just one trip!  *sigh*  I get a lurch in my tummy every time I think about how now my baby will be gone ALL DAY.  I miss her already!

We spent three days one hot week mooching off a friends' pool.  Izzy seems to have lost some of her confidence in the water.  I guess that's what happens when you don't go swimming very often--and then you go in an above ground pool which has a depth just over the top of her mouth and nose!  Once we settled her with a noodle, she was fine.  Just a few more months until she's six and can move up to the first level for swimming lessons.

John decided to put in a new back patio door--we're hoping it will cut down on the draft in our living room in the winter.  That caused a problem.  New pretty door in an old, atrociously-decorated living room/dining room.  Gah!  So we got our our rollers and brushes, and yes, after FOUR YEARS we are FINALLY painting our living room.  I took a few days and primed and painted the ceiling last week.  Then I started on the walls.  We had issue with the first color we tried (thank goodness we only bought a sample!), and we finally agreed on a tan/creamy color.  Half the room is done now (and boy, are my arms...and legs, and back tired!).  John told me I could take a break today (hence, finally blogging!), and I'll try to finish it tomorrow or the next day.  I HATE painting!  But wow, the living room already looks SO much better!

It's feeling like fall around here already (where did the hot weather go?) and John and I are nervous about our big trip still to come.  If the weather's icky....  Ah well.  It'll be good just to get away for a few days.

I'm getting ready to brush off the ol' resume again now that summer is coming to a close.  That ALSO leaves a funny lurch in my tummy.  Amazing what the inability to find a job will do to one's self-esteem.  Ugh....

3 comments:

Swistle said...

I wish the schools would put out the lists at the BEGINNING of summer, because I like to do it gradually as each thing is a loss-leader, not in a rush two weeks before school starts. *huffed sigh*

Saly said...

Hey you *ARE* alive!! Did you decide where you were going on vacation? Was it Jersey?

We get our school lists at the end of the school year for the following year, AND they post them on the school's website. I got all of ours done last weekend, and it SUCKED but it is DONE and that is what counts.

CAQuincy said...

I gotta admit, our district is usually pretty good about getting our lists out timely. We got them "late" this year--as in we got them the second week of August instead of the third week in July like previous years (they don't start until the day after Labor Day). It's just that I'm usually pretty slow about getting the supplies bought. I was pro-active this year. I was mostly just excited I managed to get it all done at ONE store instead of hopping around to two or three stores like normal!

Last year, we could buy our supplies ahead of time. It was PTA-sponsored where you could buy the "basic" grade-level supplies for some price--and then the supplies were just delivered to your kids' class for you! Then if the teacher needed anything special not on the basic list, you had to go out and buy that on your own. It was a great program (even though I didn't take advantage of it). I wonder why they didn't do it again this year (maybe I should actually GO to a PTA meeting and ask, huh?).