Monday, May 22, 2006

House hunting

John and I spent most of the weekend dragging the kids back and forth to the mortgage broker and open houses in our whirlwind, last second attempt to find, buy, and move into a house by mid-August. Of the houses we drove by, we are interested in them all but one (and we didn't even get to see that house--the road it was on was so narrow with idiot neighbors/drivers blocking the thoroughfare, we passed it by before we even noticed it and knew for a fact that that street was NOT for us). Sunday we managed to catch two open houses. We liked the second house better--but the location isn't the greatest. It's right next to a collision center--right next to a very busy road. Hmmm....we'll chalk it up as a "maybe".

John's pretty excited about the idea of finally owning our own home--looking up how to straighten the somewhat crooked garage of the one house and what is the life-span of a water heater, anyway? I'm keeping my excitement somewhat under the surface. I think the whole concept is still too surreal for me. John and me--buying a house? Inconceivable!

In the midst of the house hunting, Mary Anne also had her dance recital on Saturday. Mary is a very sensitive kid. You really never know how she's going to react to something until you see her actually react to it. All week she's been excited about this recital. Every time I'd mention it, she'd jump up and down and say, "Yay!" Not so, Saturday morning. I knew we were in trouble when she woke up and complained of being tired. Well, when I mentioned the recital, the pouting began, and "I don't want to go" became the theme for the day. She cried while getting ready and cried the whole 15 minute drive to the auditorium. She cried when I had to leave her--sitting on the floor of the dressing room in her tu-tu and tights, hair wrapped up in a bun. Thankfully, she seemed cheered up by her first dance. But someone must have looked at her wrong the second dance--the tap number to "Under the Sea." Right in the middle of it, the scowl came back. I took her out to Pizza Hut afterwards and said, "No dance next year, right?" She agreed. I guess she's going to be a sports kid--she said she'd rather do indoor soccer. Fine with me! I can certainly do without the outrageous recital/costume fees.

For you Katamari Damacy fans, you'll appreciate this. Sunday I hear Keith humming the theme under his breath (very addictive, that tune). I look up, and he's got a lego man he built rolling a whiffle ball on the coffee table towards a collection of unsuspecting Little People. Oh no! Too funny!

3 comments:

davesbeachbar said...

You and the Kannings can have "house talk" on vacation since they are looking too. Of course it will be intersting to see the kind of house the two of you are looking at for the same amount of money. I am sure you get a little more house in Fort Wayne than in Rochester.

Poor Mary, but at least she likes to try stuff

Cerpicio said...

Ha! That's funny. My four-year-old nephew also loves that game. Did you see what he took for a snack for pre-school?
http://cerpicio.blogspot.com/2006/04/sticky-ball.html

-- C.

Marcus said...

That sounds great! I like the stories of grumpy and sticky ball!