I was thinking of writing a post about how I met my husband--then thought better of it and scratched that idea. NOW I see everyone else posting about how they've met their friends/significant others. So now I gotta join the band wagon. But I'll shorten the circumstances to protect the innocent....(and you know who YOU ARE).
I met my friend M in elementary school. We were in Girl Scouts together. Then I went to a private school for a couple of years. Then I came back. I became best friends with J, and M was friends with C--but we all were in the same G.S. troop. Sometime during our eighth grade year M and I started hanging out more than J and me--and C started hanging out with J. I called it the "Great Best Friend Swap." We were all much happier after that. AND stayed in Scouts together until we got out of high school. I am still in email contact with C. I don't hear from J anymore. It's harder to stay in touch now with M since she lives in Hawaii--but we try.
I met my friend JJ my freshman year in college--right around the time I turned 19. She and I were kindred spirits from the word "Hi." I think that I am one of the few people who appreciate her sarcasm--except for her husband and MY husband, that is.
Three weeks after I met JJ, I met my future husband. The weird part is that he and JJ were from the same hometown, were only a year apart in the same private high school, and yet they had never met. Anyway, John's roommate and I were in the same English class. He invited me over after our exam. John answered the door. I found out we had the same major--and that was that. Took me just about a week to dump the other guy I was seeing (who lived one floor above John) and "pick up" John. (Told you it'd be the short version!)
My old high school boyfriend was a KNOWN flirt. My bff M had a crush on him and introduced us while he was playing guitar for a school play. It wasn't until two years later that he asked ME out. And as M was quite over him, it never caused a problem between the two of us. We lasted eight months, and it was a mutual breakup. He was a year ahead of me and going off to college. Due to his flirtatious nature, I knew I couldn't trust him, so I set him "free." SO GLAD I did that!
I must mention another boyfriend from high school. My MOTHER set me up with him. She worked at the toy store in the mall, and he was ALWAYS there. He was the town's James Dean look-a-like--but only if he combed his hair a certain way (and scrunched his face a certain way), and he was much too short (shorter than I!).
S is a friend who lived in the apartment across the street from John and me. I kept seeing her walk around with her two kids and thinking, "I really should introduce myself to her," but I was too shy. When I had Keith, John put a big "It's a Boy!" sign on our door. She stopped by and gave me some brownies. She was too shy to approach ME up to then! We've been friends ever since, and she helps me keep my motherly sanity.
L (if you follow my blog at all, you'll know the name) was kind of a fluke. John and I had just moved to a bigger apartment and were looking for childcare for 6 mos-old Mary. We found someone who lived down the road, but we weren't 100% happy with her (big rottweilers and pit bulls in cages in the back yard and just a sense of..."yikes!" around the place). We were getting desperate. One day, I just happened to check the local Advertiser and see someone with our same phone exchange advertise for child care. I called the number, and the lady lived in the same apartment complex--and had one kid who was just days older than Mary! We met her and that was that. I kept sending my kids to her even when we moved and I had to drive waaaay out of my way. She's wonderful. We still call each other almost every day....
Many of my other friends I met through John. I quite like the gang he introduced me into--they're all quite amusing. And then I introduced JJ to the gang. (LOTS of phone calls at 2 o'clock in the morning of "Hey! You need to come over!") And then someone from the gang introduced her to her future husband. You two owe us big time!
I'm sorry if I left anyone out.... Still feeling anti-post-like right now.
Love you all!
4 comments:
This is super cool!!
I'm glad someone else did this- just read Swistle's earlier. This is fun!
So John answered the door, and the next thing you know you're running hand-in-hand through a field of daisys, buying ice cream from a street vendor, reading poetry to each other during a picnic under a solemn tree and having silly, embarrasing things happen to you. Or did you have a different montage?
When I met him he was like "Heehee.. that Roger Rabbit, he's a funny guy!"
MR: No...that's about accurate. "Roger Rabbit is funny", "Popeye is the funniest movie ever", and quoting the complete "Roxanne" movie at all times. Ahhhh...memories....
Post a Comment