Wednesday, June 25, 2008

THE NEW ROOF IS HERE!

Last Monday I heard a strange noise. It sounded as if someone was walking around our house. I kept expecting John to walk upstairs, but he never showed--and the footsteps kept getting louder. And THEN I heard a big, big boom. Hmmm.... I opened the garage door, and there was a huge truck backed up to our house with two guys throwing shingles onto our roof. OH! The roofers are finally here! (Let's just ignore the fact that we'd been trying to get a confirmation of the exact day they'd show up, and kept only getting a vague "maybe next week," or "we'll call and let you know." So....surprise! Time to get the roof done!

The roofers finished dropping off their tools on Tuesday and then went to work on Wednesday. I took this opportunity to start using our renewed Y membership in earnest and spent most of the mornings in water aerobics while the kids played in the child care center. (LOVE water aerobics, BTW!) In the afternoons, I tried desperately to get Izzy to take her usual nap, but with all the horrific tearing-off-the-roof and nailing-down-new-shingles sounds, it just wasn't happening.

The guy in charge thought they would be done by Friday, but John and I looked up on Thursday and had our doubts. Then on Friday, we had a little workman's drama right in my driveway. One of the workers showed up late every day (When I described the guy to John, he didn't even recognize him--John hadn't seen the guy all week since he hadn't shown until John had already left for work AND the guy was leaving early, too). Well, apparently he got "talked to" on Friday. His excuse was that he had to take his baby to the pediatrician because the baby-mama was sick--and he even brought the mom and the baby along to collaborate his story. Dude--that's all fine and good, but if you didn't clear it with your boss first AND because you were late EVERY OTHER DAY THIS WEEK, you're boss isn't going to fall for that! How did I know about all this drama? Because while I was going in and out of the house packing up the car for my impending GS camping trip, the guy kept talking to me and trying to me into his sympathies. With a few more trips to the car, I got to hear the boss's replies. The worker was finally sent home. The other workers, seeing that they were NOT going to get everything done, finally packed up and left around 4:30. Not 15 minutes later, he comes Johnny-come-LATEly looking for the crew (with his gf and kid in tow). THEN I got to hear a whole diatribe about how these guys are trying to get out of paying him, blah, blah, blah. "Um, well, they are supposed to come back tomorrow," I tell him. "Yeah, well, that does me no good. The mortgage is due tonight, I gotta have my money tonight." The guy was STILL working his mouth the whole time they were waiting to back out of the drive-way. Good grief.

The roofers didn't come back on Saturday; they came back on Sunday instead. They finished up the roof, but then they had to come back on Monday to do more clean-up. I didn't see the guy, but John told me our Mortgage Man was back with the crew on Monday. Well, good. I'm glad he's still got a job, but....DUDE! You need to open up those lines of communication with your boss if you want to work for him much longer!

Despite the drama, all of our roofer were actually quite nice and courteous. Even the neighbors were impressed.

And the roof looks GREAT. I guess we'll see how great it REALLY is after we get our first big rain--and first big snow.

3 comments:

d e v a n said...

Yay for a new roof! NOT Yay for drama.

MR said...

I predict, using my uncanny ESP abilities, that he'll continue to make poor choices in the future, blaming everyone but himself, end up divorced and in a slightly subconcious need to resign from society, commit some crime that gets him thrown in jail where you and I will pay for his expenses.

...the roofer, not John.

Marcus said...

Good news on the roof! You should have used the "shut up" button for the man who didn't.