Monday, July 07, 2008

The Heartland Trip

It took longer than normal to get to The Crossroads as John, the techie, decided to make a few stops along the way in the process of converting his laptop into a DVD player for the kids (SaLy we spent quite a bit of time there in Buffalo!). The kids were excited when he finally got it running right and watched several episodes of the Avatar. We also stopped to eat at a favorite restaurant in Erie that we don't have here in upstate New York. ("Bean Crock")

Finally, we got to Indy, where we had a nice cookout with family and friends we hadn't seen in years. And got to meet a hs friend's fiance (the whole point of this trip). Sorry I can't come to the wedding, folks!

We made it to FTW in good time--after a slight detour to the old Alma mater. The kids just did not get the same awe-inspiring vibes that John and I did. Not even, "You know, if it weren't for this place, the three of you would never have existed" got much of a response. Can't please everybody. John and I did get a kick out of visiting one of our favorite stores--they had different merchandise (no more previously owned CDs!) BUT the store SMELLED EXACTLY THE SAME (incense). I bought a new BSU sweatshirt and enjoyed the stinkyness on me for the rest of the day.

On to FTW, where we drove around, took over the H's house, drove around some more, saw family and a softball game, drove around, went to the zoo, and then had a party where we saw more friends and cute babies who are just getting too, too big too soon. Also, Izzy did a face plant off the swing and cut her lip and proceeded to bleed all over one of my favorite t-shirts (and I can't get it out).

We decided to cut the rest of our vacation shorter than we originally planned so that the kids would not have to miss two swimming lessons (and for Keith--karate). Sadly, we didn't see everyone we intended/wanted to see. Perhaps our next trip will focus on those we missed THIS trip. We're not sure if we'll be back at Thanksgiving time as we usually try to come--we'll let you all know!

Anyway, it was a nice visit with our family and friends that we DID get to see. The kids were exhausted from all the driving and late nights. Ah well. Summer has officially started, and we're going to try to make the most of what's left of it!

I am really, really sad that I missed out on all those PIF contests. Maybe I can try to get in on the second or third rounds???

7 comments:

Saly said...

I've never heard of "Bean Crock" hmmmm.

Too bad you didn't have my #, we could have had lunch!

MR said...

The coolest thing about Erie, PA, though, is that *I* was born there.

It was a nice visit, good to see everyone again. I got a nice piece of artwork for my fridge, too.

davesbeachbar said...

PIF contest?

Marcus said...

sorry that I missed out

Mommy Daisy said...

Don't worry, I hosted a PIF contest, and I won one too. So I'll be hosting another one soon.

Also, I think you were in my neck of the woods. I can't remember if we've discussed this before or not. Maybe sometime you're this way we can meet.

Also, glad that you had a nice trip.

Nowheymama said...

You were in Erie? You were so close by!

Yes, there are many PIF contests still to come. Just check Swistle's blog.

MR said...

I'm sorry, I feel I'm to blame. You see she was in a hurry to meet me.