So Saturday started out great. Sunny but cold. The girls and I had two Scouting events (one of which I was in charge, and it went really well). We went out to lunch. We did a little shopping.
John took Keith to his basketball game (his team is still undefeated). John then took him when he went to switch cell phone carriers--and took MY phone with him (but I'm not switching yet as it appears I still have time on the original contract).
I got home from our shopping errands (crafts and doggie treats) to a strange message on our answering machine from John. And...it was not good.
To keep it short, our beloved dog Zuko got loose and ran after a neighborhood dog--across the street. And got hit by a car. It was...terrible. Expecially since Keith saw the whole thing. The poor puppy! After hours of vet exams and x-rays at two different hospitals (the first vet stabilized him so that John could move him to the emergency vet center across town) and lots of discussions of injuries and surgeries and "minimum eight-month recovery time" and scary spinal injury possibilities and what-was-what...we finally decided to put our sweet Zuko to sleep.
I stayed with Zuko while the doctor put him down. Even through all the meds and pain, he still tried to get up to greet me. And after he was gone, he let out the sweetest little snore--like he was just all content now....
It's been just terrible around here, let me tell you. We're all moping and the house is way, way too quiet, and we are simply all suffering from broken hearts. Zuko was a great dog. Great personality. Great with the kids. So friendly (although aggressive to other dogs, obviously). He was most definitely a member of the family.
Oh, Zuko, your time here was way too short, and you've got a special family here that is really hurting and missing you right now. We'll save your favorite ball for you, buddy.




5 comments:
Oh, I'm so, SO sorry.
Oh, Carrie. I am so so sorry.
Oh no. :( I'm so sorry!
So sorry, Carrie! That made me cry!
Aww, that's so sad. I'm so sorry! Losing a pet is the worst. We're already trying to prepare ourselves...our dog is getting up there in age.
Post a Comment