Monday, April 04, 2011

What day was I on? 20? Oh yeah. A hobby.

I have lots of hobbies, but I don't have lots of time for the hobbies.  My interest waxes and wanes with the time/moon. 

I used to love to crosstitch.  LOVE it.  I enjoyed making baby announcements for my expectant friends.  Then *I* had a baby, and I just couldn't put the time/interest into it anymore.  It took me almost two years to finish the last one I did.  I'm teaching Mary how to crosstitch/embroider (again--we haven't visited this craft in a while), so I may just get out that pattern that I bought like 10 years ago and start working on it again.  Maybe.

A couple of years ago I decided to try to teach myself how to knit.  I got a book and with that and constantly checking youtube, I've done pretty well.  I like knitting because I can still do it while keeping an eye on the kids or the TV (sort of).  The results are usually much quicker than crosstitching!  I love the challenge of trying a new stitch/pattern.  I love how I can now knit socks!  With double pointed needles!  And I brag about it to EVERYONE!  But...I don't do it all the time.  I go months without knitting and then I will suddenly get on a knitting spree and crank out inches of blankets (or SOCKS!).  Right now I'm trying to get myself motivated to finish knitting the second sock to a pair because I have a NEW sock pattern that I want to try.

The one hobby that I rarely lose interest in is reading.  I read entirely too much for a mother of three.  I have to force limits on myself.  If I don't, homework doesn't get checked, housework doesn't get done, dinner doesn't get cooked in a timely manner, kid miss the bus (whoops!), notes from the teacher get missed....  And I've discussed here previously that if I'm feeling a bit blue (like I do ALL WINTER), then I have a tendency to get wrapped up in a book--which then causes me to get more "out of focus" and MORE blue.  Yeah, limits have to be set--and followed!--with the reading hobby.  I'm still working on that.

1 comment:

Mommy Daisy said...

I used to cross-stitch too. I tried to find my box of things a few years ago. I made a huge Thomas Kincade cross-stitch and was almost done, but now we don't know where the box with those things went. :( But that's when I decided to teach myself to crochet (just like you learned to knit). I loved the challenge of it and was doing big projects in no time. And about 6 months after that I taught myself to knit. And I've been doing that for a long time too. I like knitting/crocheting in the evenings when the kid is in bed and we're watching TV. Keeps my hands busy, and I end up with something cute. And I'm like you, I love trying new patterns. It keeps my mind active too. :D You should share pictures of some of your projects.