Monday, April 04, 2011

Day 21--A Favorite Recipe

Well, if you look over to the right, you will see a link to my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.  And Monster Cookies, if you are really feeling brave...

But I'm going to post my favorite meatloaf recipe.  I think I've posted this recipe previously, but I'm not going to take the time to look it up (it's not as if the "search" function ever WORKS on blogger, huh?).  I just made this the other day for a friend who had just got out of the hospital.  The whole family loved it.  (And I had to take out all the dairy due to a resident lactose intolerant.)

Mozzarella Meatloaf
2 eggs
1 C buttery cracker crumbs
1 C milk
1/2 C parmesean cheese
1/2 C chopped onion
1 1/2 t salt
1 t dried oregano
2 lbs lean ground beef
8 oz spaghetti sauce
1 c grated mozzarella cheese

Combine the eggs, cracker crumbs, milk, parmesean cheese, onion, salt, oregano, milk.  Mix well.  Shape into a loaf pan.  Bake @ 350* for about 1 hour.  Drain any liquid off.  Spoon the spaghetti sauce over the meatloaf, then top with grated mozzarella cheese.  Bake another ten minutes, until cheese is melted.


For my lactose intolerant family, I cut out the cheeses, and I only put about a quarter cup of water instead of the milk--they liked it just fine.  (I'm pretty sure I've made this without any milk/water at all, and it tasted fine.) 

Lately, I've been splitting the recipe into two loaves and baking at 400*--it usually cooks up in around 40-50 minutes.

2 comments:

jage said...

Have you used tomato sauce instead of spaghetti sauce before? Just wondering.

CAQuincy said...

No, I have never tried that. Try it!