Saturday, March 28, 2020

Good grief! Almost SEVEN years since I last posted. WTH?

Oh. Well, we had non-reliable computers for a while there. And I got super, duper distracted with being a SAHM. And then eventually (TWO years ago now), I went back to work. And discovered the New Job did not give me nearly as much quiet time (or access to Blogger) as Old Job did.

THE KIDS:

Kid #1 is now a sophomore at Ithaca College. (Although, she came home for Spring Break a few weeks ago and never got to go back due to the virus.) She is majoring in Speech Pathology and Audiology, and doing well.

Kid #2 is a senior and going through the weirdest senior year ever due to this mess. He has applied and been accepted at a ton of schools. Decisions need to be made! Soon! He is considering majoring in BioChem or something to be Pre-Med.

Kid #3. God, I do love her so much, but she is a Mess. She is a sophomore. She was diagnosed with ADHD in 4th grade and was kind of doing OK until the end of eighth grade. And then the bottom dropped, and it's been a struggle to get her to do ANYTHING since. She's on meds for depression and anxiety and the ADHD. And she just doesn't want to do anything. She refuses to get out of bed, refuses to go to school, refuses to do any work. She has NO motivation. Neither rewards nor Punishments work for her. Everyone is fighting for her EXCEPT her. Time will tell if the suspension of school right now will help her or just make everything worse.

Kid #4 is just a happy little second grader. And every now and then DH and I see a sign of ADHD in her and get a little twitchy. But it really is a joy to have her bubbly self around to counter all these grumpy teens (uh, and 20-yo).

And just because it is on my mind so much with all the reading and ADHD twitter-following (and that guy-wrenching paragraph about Kid #3)...just a note that I finally brought it up to my Doctor this fall about ADHD and me. Getting that kid diagnosed was quite eye-opening about a lot of CRAP in my own life. When I told the doctor some of the "little things" from my childhood that pointed to ADHD for me, he said, "Those are not 'little things', those are Big Things." So yeah. ...

I mean, I went right to my mother after #3's diagnosis and told her I thought BOTH of us had it. And guess what, she got diagnosed a few years later--at 63. She went to get some testing because she was afraid she was starting to suffer from dimentia. Nope. Just ADHD.

Anyway, not sure how often I will be able to get on here. I am currently on my kindle and pecking this out with one finger. Not real conducive to starting blogging again, but with the computers all being used for Work From Home or Online Learning right now, this is the best I had today. I mean I really got on here just to see if I could still logon, and I didn't even have to conjure up a dusty, old password, and here I am! We will see....


1 comment:

Nowheymama said...

This is so much fun! I love that people are blogging again. I need to see if I can still get back on my blogger one and join in.

Seniors: we have one too, and it is so hard. I just keep saying I'm sorry because what else is there to say?!