Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Darian [urp!] Lake

Our friends Dave and Leona got some free tickets to go to Darian Lake when they bought their season passes and bestowed them upon us. Up until the end of last summer, Darian Lake was owned by Six Flags. Apparently Six Flags decided to drop them, but the amusement park is still running--just for cheaper tickets AND without the Looney Tunes theme (and no more "freaky guy doin' that freaky dance" commercials).

Last Sunday, we set out to meet our friends at the park. We headed out later than intended and then John and I were talking and missed our exit. The kids were getting quite impatient, but we finally found the place and met Dave and Leona at the water park. All played in the wave pool and a few of the other water attractions. Then it was getting to be around 2:00, and we were all hungry, so we got some hamburgers and hot dogs at the concession stand. $35.00 for two hot dogs, two hamburgers, two orders of fries, an order of chicken fingers, and ONE drink. Yikes!

Well, we ate and then decided to head to the kiddie attractions where Dave, Leona, and their kids were waiting for us. On the way there, we got on a couple of rides.

[Now, I had a problem when we were at Sesame Place (oh, guess I forgot to mention that) where I got very nauseous and had to back out of rides for a couple of hours. It was well over 90* that day and extremely humid, so I chalked it up to that. I was smart and sat down with Izzy (still in the heat, though--ugh) and drank Sprite and ate a pretzel until I felt better and was able to get on rides again.]

Well, the first ride we went on I was basically OK. It was kind of like a swing and went around and around. I rode it twice; I felt a bit dizzy, but not too sick. Then John and Mary went on the "Silver Bullet." This one not only goes around, it goes completely upside down, too. When they got off, Mary grabs me and begs me to go on with her, too.

Now, I was eyeing that thing with some trepidation, but since I made it fine through the other ride (and darnit! I LOVE upside-down rides!) I figured I'd make it OK. Big mistake. I was fine until the thing went completely upside down and the centripetal forces started pulling on me. When we got off, I was dizzy and a bit out of it, so I figured I'd better steer clear of those spin-ny rides for a while.

We got in line for the Ferris wheel. A big, huge one, too. It took forever to load/unload people on the thing, so the line was very slow. As we were standing there, I was getting more and more nauseous. I felt as if I were still spinning on that stupid Silver Bullet. I said to John, "I don't feel good." I started to feel faint, so I sat down. I felt better, I stood up again. I got dizzy again, and I sat down. Meanwhile Izzy thinks it's funny and is trying to sit in my lap while I'm on the ground (Oh, PLEASE stay off Mommy, honey!). Finally, I got a huge surge of dizziness and ended up laying down on the floor. John said I turned as white as a sheet (which is really saying something since I'm such a pale person, anyway). Within seconds, my portion of our $35.00 lunch was spilling onto the floor. Lovely.

The girls running the ride were freaking out and asking if they should get an ambulance. About 20 people asked if I were diabetic. Um, no, I'm not diabetic. I don't need an ambulance, I just need help OUT OF THIS LINE. Someone shoved a cup of water at me. Meanwhile, the ride has stopped and people are trying to get past us to get on the next ride. I'm moaning, "Um, watch your step, please!" Apparently the employees hadn't noticed my high-dollar lunch clogging up the line yet--they just thought I'd fainted. Finally the girls start yelling at the other people to stop so that they could redirect the line away from me and my pile of puke.

The medic shows, helps us out of line, and eventually puts me on the golf cart to take me to the first aid station. John and the kids were walked to it by another medic. The medic wouldn't let me leave until I had a bottle of water, my pulse slowed down, and my blood pressure got a little higher.

I think poor Izzy was a little scared at the site of seeing her mother sick like that. While I was lying down in bed, she kept crying to John, "I don't know what to do!" I wonder if she wanted to help me?

Mary and Keith were pretty good. Although they did keep asking me if I felt better yet so that they could go and ride on more rides.

After probably about an hour and a half I felt well enough to brave the amusement park again. But no more rides. I'm sure by the end of the day I could have pulled off one of the roller coasters, but I decided to just play it safe and be the boring "Izzy watcher" all day.

Yep. Learned my lesson. No more amusement park fries. And no more round-and-round upside-down rides. I'm sticking to the roller coasters now and THAT'S IT.

Dude--it SO sucks to get old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found that out after I had Kenneth!! No more spinning rides for me even though some of the rollar coasters get me too!

Miss you!!

Your Childhood Friend for Life!!!!