Friday, August 17, 2007

The Tooth Fairy is a Canuk!

Last June, Mary lost one of her bottom teeth. The tooth fairy was quite generous and gave her a dollar bill. But strangely, when John was getting up with Mary that morning, she showed him the dollar AND two Canadian quarters the fairy left her! Amazing! The dollar MULTIPLIED: AND into Canadian money, too!

We let Mary know, with very carefully phrased wording (er, I least I *think* so anyway) that we knew the Tooth Fairy wouldn't leave Canadian money, and if Mary wants extra change from our change mug, she needs to talk to us first.

So last night Mary lost one of her front teeth (oh! so cute!). This morning when I woke her up, Mary hesitantly picked up her pillow to find the four quarters the Tooth Fairy very quickly deposited there last night instead of a boring dollar (Mary still only vaguely understands money--last time she really did think two quarters was worth more than that flimsy piece of paper--hence the breaking into the change mug to get "more"). She's rifling through her pile while I'm attempting to wake up Keith. "Hey! One of these is Canadian!"

D'oh!

"Um, yeah--I can 'exchange' that for you," I tell her and quickly run to get one WITHOUT the "deer" on the front.

Yeah, guess the Tooth Fairy's going to have to pay more attention as she goes through her money bags. *Ahem*

At least the kid can tell an American quarter from a Canadian one now!

2 comments:

Beck said...

That's so funny!
My kids tell American change apart from the Canadian ones because the Canadian coins have a "lady" on them and the American ones always have a guy.

MR said...

That's right kids, we kicked some serious ass to get away from that monarchy crap--but the Canadians are a conquered people.