Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Gone a Courtin'

The weather was still a bit decent yesterday afternoon, so the kids and I went outside as soon as the bus dropped off the older two. I was pushing Izzy around on her trike (she's almost figured out how to pedal), when I saw a sight to behold: another Mom across the street (but two houses down) pushing a kid on a tricycle and holding another on her hip. I was stunned--and nervous. Where did this visage come from? That's when I realized that the house across the street (and two doors down) must have SOLD--and to a YOUNG FAMILY!

It's kind of daunting on our street as every house surrounding us is filled with retirement-aged or middle-aged, childless couples. The only young family within close proximity moved out last summer. It's kind of a bummer for my kids AND me.

But now, a new family! I waved at her, but I wasn't wearing my glasses, so I wasn't sure if she could see me. Then she started walking down the sidewalk. I waved again, but I didn't see any recognition yet. Hmmmm..... But, YES, here she is, walking across the street to meet ME! Yes!

We had a nice chat, and I was all nervous about my appearance and how my older kids wouldn't stop playing long enough to say "Hi" or even LOOK at her and her two darlings. But Izzy, upon being introduced to the neighbor's two-year old, immediately greeted her with big smiles and jumping jacks and sweetly shared the sidewalk chalk.

Awesome.

I knew we would probably be all right when the neighbor proffered her sleeve for the two-year old to wipe her nose on. Not to mention that the little girl and her 11-month old brother were both decked out in TCP clothes.

It may be too soon to tell, but we just might be in love.

7 comments:

MR said...

Well if she didn't ask to borrow money the first time you met her, that's a good sign.

But I can't believe you didn't ask her to pose for pictures for your blog.

Marcus said...

Yo! Dis our terroritory! Den she pulled out a ....

No, it didn't go down like that. I believe it was families meeting, greeting, maybe trying to start a neighborhood trend.

Sarah said...

Oh, that's awesome! There actually are several young families in our neighborhood, but we never really talk outside of those occasions when we run into each other on walks. Don't know why...

Mommy Daisy said...

Oh that's VERY exciting. We don't have many young families in our neighborhood. Right next door the family has 7 kids, but their youngest is Zachariah's age. We've actually gotten together with them a few times, but they are so busy with all the kids activities and things. It's easier when the weather is nice, because we all like being outside. We'll stand at the fence and talk for an hour. Other than them, there are no young families. And there are no sidewalks, so that makes it tough.

Anonymous said...

Your doing better than us. I went to high school with the couple 2 doors down and the only time we see them is when we drive 45 minutes to party at a mutual friends house. How sad is that. New Years resolution, to actually meet the neighbors this year.

Saly said...

YAY!!

jen said...

how great! here's hoping you guys hit it off :) I'd love a best-friend neighbor. Our new neighbors are all old people just like everyone else on our street.

I'm hoping they offer to GIVE us the swingset the previous owners left behind. heh heh.