Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Random Thoughts on a Spring Birthday

It's John's birthday. Poor guy.

It's finally turning into Spring out there. Last Friday there was snow on the ground when I woke up Mary for school. She looked out her window and immediately starting bawling. "It's supposed to be Spring!" she whined. Poor girl. But it is warm out there now--I even let the kids play outside this morning. No sign of flower life yet, but I think John may have pulled up all our tulips last fall.... But the birds have come back, and I now need to get Mary and Keith new Spring jackets as their winter coats are way too bulky.

Izzy is making progress staying dry through the night. She had a three-day streak there where she did not wet her pull-up. So when the last one got used up, I bought a shower curtain and put it on her mattress. It's still a work in progress, and I sense much washing of the linens in the next few weeks. After the kids got in from playing outside, and I was trying to rush Keith into his school jeans and shoes, Izzy was in her room crying because I hadn't put her sheets back on her bed after I had to wash them this morning (um...they hadn't been put in the dryer yet). So I pulled the spare set out and made her bed. After Keith got out and on his way to school, I noticed that she hadn't come out of her room yet. She was enjoying playing on her "new" bed. Ten minutes later all is quiet. Sure enough, she had climbed in and was falling asleep. All that exercise and wonderful Spring air must have taken its toll--and for once I didn't have to fight to get her down for her nap!

John decided he wanted to let Keith's hair grow out, since that's the style again. Well, now it's all bushy and unmanageable, and I had to ask John, "Um, what do we do now?" Guess we'll take him to a barber to see what can be made of it. Frankly, I'm all for getting the clippers out again, but John is determined.

We got Mary and Keith signed up for softball and t-ball, respectively. Poor Keith is getting all Mary's hand-me-down gear from last year, but Mary is getting treated to a new glove, new bat, and new cleats. They both seem excited, but all I can think about is how I now have TWO different baseball schedules to attempt to keep up with--when the ONE was a hassle last year! (And what about in two year's time when Izzy is old enough to start! Ai carumba!)

It smells wonderful in the house now as I just baked John a cake for tonight. It'll be a short celebration as I have an important can't-possibly-miss-it G.S. meeting tonight at 7:00. Ah well. Birthdays just aren't so exciting for us old fogeys now, anyway.

Hope you all are enjoying wonderful weather, too!

1 comment:

Mommy Daisy said...

Happy Birthday John!

I hear you about spring coming. I wish it would come sooner. Although my mom and I just noticed today that the grass is starting to look a bit green. Finally!

I used to play softball each summer (as well as both of my sisters). It brings back good memories for me. I don't know how my parents kept up, but they did. And they played softball for the church league too.