Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Tis the Season: The Fairy, The Skeleton, and the Flamenco Dancer

Halloween was a blast, of course.  A blast of cold!  wind!  rain!  and HAIL!!!  But...ya know.  I still love it, and I think we still had a pretty good time.

It started out with Mary arranging to trick-or-treat with her best friend--who was also trick-or-treating with another friend.  (This circle of friends does NOT work well.  Mary does NOT like to share her friend.  I keep reminding her that she's been sharing friends with this other girl for YEARS only it wasn't quite so noticable previously as friend #3 was in a different class until THIS year.  Ugh.)  Well, I talked to the best friend's mother, and we agreed that at least two adults would go with the whole gang, and they would NOT go running off on their own.  I said, "I don't care if they run ahead of the younger kids--as long as they can see me and are in hearing distance."

Well, the minute best friend shows up at friend #3's house, she starts asking the other mother if the Three Not-So-Amigos can go out on their own, since HER mom said it was OK.  Yeah, this momma put the smack-down on THAT.  Sorry.  Did you not know about the secret alliance between your mother and me?  (I was blasted for using a "really mean voice" later.  Hmmm...perhaps so, but I don't appreciate someone trying to play me.  And...I will probably let them go on their own next year--but this year is just one year too soon for me.)

Anyway, we got out to the cold, cold evening and we weren't out five minutes when a huge dark cloud of DOOM covered the sky and the wind/rain/hail mix started.  Within minutes of that the whining about the two moms cutting off the Path of Most Candy turned into the whines of "I want to go home!" and "I'm sooooo cold!"  My kids were mostly OK.  They all had about three layers on, and they all had gloves.  But the other kids weren't quite so prepared, and....  Well, it was a short night.  We were probably only out about 45 minutes!

That being said, the kids DID have fun.  And I even had fun.  And we got just enough candy to satisfy all (it's quite a large neighborhood).  And we were all thrilled to get home and in bed in a timely manner.  And...no, I haven't downloaded the pictures yet.  Am pathetic when it comes to that, I know.

Related, I went to the kids' Halloween parade and play at the school on Friday.  THAT was fun.  And I feel bad because since the school asks for no really, really scary costumes, I told Keith not to wear the somewhat scary skeleton mask to his costume--and the parade was FULL of costumes much more creepy than his!  And Izzy the Fairy did not want to wear her whole costume.  I knew I should have tried to go to her classroom to help her get dressed--she ended up only putting on the bodysuit and the wings.  And she wore the tie to the bodysuit around her chest instead of her neck, so her costume ended up hanging halfway down her chest--good then she was wearing a shirt underneath, huh?  Mary--was just adorable.  And I got to eat lunch with her again, and she still loves me enough that even though she doesn't want to trick-or-treat with me anymore, at least she still wants me to eat lunch with her. 

Oh!  And MY costume!  Yes, I decided to be a surgeon.  Cuz I have scrubs.  Only...I lost the pants to them.  And the shirt is way, way too big (I always used it for a nightshirt).  So, I went to WallyWorld and bought a set from there (had to pay $4 extra for the pants since they didn't have any of the ones on SALE in my size, but it was still a somewhat cheap--and WELL-MADE--costume).  Here's the funny part.  I'm not in the school five minutes for that parade when one of the students tells me, "You're wearing the same costume as Miss S!"  Sure enough, my son's student teacher had the EXACT SET OF SCRUBS--right down to the UGLY shirt!  I mean, when does THAT ever happen?!  Too funny!

REALLY got to download those pics, huh?

1 comment:

Saly said...

Yes, this post would be much better with photos. Come on, Carrie!! ;)

Halloween was so so so cold. I think I still have a chill from trick or treating.