Monday, June 19, 2006

Sick, sick, sick (not for the faint of heart--or those who faint at the mention of vomit and other such excretions)

So last Wednesday while getting Izzy out of the carseat, she decided to do a Jackson Pollock right onto our parking lot. Thank heavens none of it flew into the van or on my person. Poor Izzy spent the next several hours creating impressionistic art on all kinds of media (her jammies, her sheets, my shirt, her favorite blanky)--and even when she had a lack of "paint", as it were (yes, that would be "dry-heaving"). Reminding myself that I just don't get to spend nearly enough time with my family, I "burned" a vacation day Thursday to stay home with the poor thing. Even on Friday, while the creative spurt had been all used up, she really wasn't quite herself. By Saturday, she had a slight fever and was obviously having issues going #2 (perhaps due to the lack of food and fluids for the previous two days). By Sunday, the "blockage" was bypassed--and apparently cleared the way for the much "smoother fuels" waiting in the tube. NOT pleasant. And she's still not quite herself even today. ugh.

Despite Izzy's issues, we did manage to have some fun this weekend. We took the kids to a farm where we got to meet three baby horses--and a couple of the parents, too. The kids were enthralled--even a slightly feverish Izzy managed to crack a smile and say "horse!" We were promised a ride on the mama horses if we come again (on a not-so-impossibly hot day).

I took Mary and Keith to the apartment swimming pool on Sunday (and wondered if after we move I could still get in with my non-dated pool passes. no, better not. curse me for being so gosh-darned honest!). This is the first year Mary was willing to get in and doggie-paddle around with no whining, clinging, or otherwise drowning-attempts on her mama. Not so with little Keith. After much cajoling, I got him to get in and showed him how he could actually touch bottom. But it was to no avail. After the "thrill" was gone, he spent a half hour whining and screaming and clinging before I finally gave it up and let him sit on the side of the pool. But how humiliating that then when Mary wanted to do laps with me, she beat me far too many times for me to be willing to publish here. Granted, she was doing shorter laps, but STILL.

*sigh* I'm getting old.

3 comments:

Marcus said...

That's a real shame, for many reasons. I hope that she gets better and feeling better very soon!

Ah, remastering swimming. You'd think that like a bicycle that it would be so easy, but no ... not as you reason things out like ... water can cause choking --> fear. Infants don't know that, but kids do.

Good luck. I'm glad the horses, foals, and ponies were a hit. Dog and pony show?

davesbeachbar said...

Poor Izzy.. Poor Carrie

I feel for both of you.

Been there, done that.

Cerpicio said...

A "Jackson Pollock"?! Wow, there's visual I didn't need...heh.

But did she quote one of her dad's famous sayings after someone else "painted" a parking lot? "When someone sees that in the morning they'll say, 'Oh $#!t' but they'll be wrong 'cause it ain't $#!t it's PUKE!'