Izzy being somewhat unresponsive to the Sesame Street and Spongebob stickers I bought her after the first day of potty training, I made the bold switch to Hershey's Kissables. I blame my day care provider--that was all SHE had around the house when Izzy decided to suddenly try becoming a "big girl". I don't know that many girls who will respond to stickers after having chocolate as an inducement.
Anyway, I bought two little bags: one for the kitchen for potty #1, one for the upstairs bathroom, for potty #2. Izzy is doing much better for me at home, but there are still times here and there where I'm changing more diapers than I'm handing out candy. No big deal. But yesterday I happened to notice that the package of Kissables looked suspiciously "flat." Hmmm.... Sure enough, it was completely empty.
Any time candy goes missing in the house, I immediately know who the big culprit is. "MARY!" Sure enough, she shamefacedly admitting to eating all of Izzy's potty candy AND even sneaking some of the candy out of the bathroom. Well, now I know why Mary kept jumping up and wanting to cheer Izzy and give Izzy the little reward every time she used the potty. Little sneak.
At dinner, John and I made her feel bad enough about stealing from her little sister and told her that (once again) she won't be getting any candy for awhile (maybe we need to try something else, 'cause the little thief never seems to learn her lesson). And just to make sure, we asked Keith if he happened to be taking any of Izzy's candy. Nope. Not that there was any doubt. Keith is so happy-go-lucky you can't even imagine the thought even entering his head.
Fast forward to two hours later. It's way past bedtime, and I'm trying frantically to get Mary and Keith to bed. They've got their jammies on, they've brushed their teeth, and I'm trying to corral them onto the couch for their bedtime story. I hear rustling in the bathroom as I walk by. Sure enough, there is a little thief sneaking a piece of candy. But no! Not the properly shamed child #1 (still too soon for even that expert thief to try again). No! It's the innocent! The middle child who apparently realized what his life of innocence was costing him--no candy! Cripes! If we hadn't discussed it at the dinner table, he never would have been the wiser!
WHAT HAVE WE CREATED?!
3 comments:
Good! I knew that your perception was a bit off there! Beware of assuming. You know what it makes of U and ME. Anyway ... how about storing the candy in medicine bottles -- far more difficult to open for "some" children. Anyway, it's a thought. The concept of medicine as reward, well ... I guess you'll have to put a Mommy-created label to clearly distinguish IT from doctor or OTC meds.
...and so long as you're taking advice from people who don't HAVE kids, I say paint them blue and call them "macaroni."
Marcus's recommendation would explain why my headaches never go away. On the other hand, the Dementors haven't bothered me near as much recently.
Man, this is gold, and I'm posting in the archived section where no one will see it!
Post a Comment