Last night John went to Curriculum Night at Mary's school. John signed up for bringing cups and peppermints to the future winter activities, signed up for the winter parent/teacher conference, and then got to talk to the teacher for a bit about Mary. The teacher told John that Mary is making the transition to the new school wonderfully (she's apparently well-liked by the other kids in her class). The teacher also said that she was "blown away" by Mary's reading and drawing skills. John and I know that the kid reads well--she moved on to reading Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein with no problems last year--and we even know she's pretty artistic. The fridge is constantly filled with her drawings and colorings, and she's always arranging her toys in little "dioramas" on her dresser or in the play room. But I guess it just doesn't hit you until you compare her little drawings to all the other kids in the class that wow--she really IS advanced for her age. She can draw horses, unicorns, whales, dolphins, lions, etc.--and she puts immense detail into them. Mrs. W. mentioned that Mary must have had a great kindergarten teacher. And yes, she did! And not to knock Mrs. G. (who was great, indeed), but I think a chunk of the credit needs to go to the day care provider Mary had since she was six months old. No way I could ever find anyone to measure up to Leona, and that's the reason why I'm willing to drive an extra half hour out of my way every day to keep Keith and Izzy there. She's irreplaceable; she's the best!
But let's not take credit away from our girl. Mary definitely is a good, quick learner. I hope she can keep up the drive in the many, many years of schooling to come!
You go, girl!
4 comments:
Mary Super Genius (whistle). I like that sound of that! Go; achieve; win ... don't get a big head.
And here I thought you were bragging about the fact that John actually signed up for some stuff at school :)
You forgot to thank the Academy.
"That's my boy--see the one running the touchdown? I would have run the touchdown myself but I'm old now, so he's in charge of running the touchdowns now."
-Bill Cosby
Sounds like her right-brain is lit up like a Christmas tree. If she reacts the same way when throw math at her, YOU just saved a ton of money on college.
"I'm gonna try out for a SCHOL-A-SHEEEIIP!"
-John Bender
I saw that Dave.
I'll have you know I take care of a majority of the school stuff. Thus, no wonder the kid's a genius.
nyah
Post a Comment