Wednesday, September 03, 2008

First Day: Ah, the serenity!

Today was Mary and Keith's first day back to school. They were soooo excited that they had their lunches packed YESTERDAY afternoon, and they were dressed and out the door waiting for the bus by 8:04 this morning--and the bus doesn't come until 8:24.

After they were gone I faced my first day alone with just Izzy. It was so...strange. I casually finished my breakfast and then started cleaning up the breakfast dishes and dutifully picking up the house. But! What should I do with this special time alone with my little girl? (Knowing it'll be one of the last days alone with her IF I get lucky enough to finally become gainfully employed again.) So, she and I sat on the couch and read a couple of Dora books, and she quizzed me on my alphabet sounds (I did pretty well). And then we went outside where she played in the sandbox and tormented some potato bugs. Then it dawned on me: we have a lunch date!

Yes, some other SAH friends of mine try to get together every year on the first day of school for lunch at Panera's. I don't typically frequent that place (just too darned expensive), but I decided to go for the first and last chance I'd ever get to join in on the tradition.

Izzy and I ate our $15.00 lunch (Seriously!) and got caught up on some local gossip. Then I took the Iz-meister across the street and bought her a new pair of shoes (her heels are actually starting to hang over her sandals!). THEN I remembered our cereal-depletion problem in the cupboard, and we went to the store to stock up on Frosted Flakes and other goodies for the kids to pack in their school lunches.

We came home, and I relaxed on the couch (is it the weather that is causing me to have a headache EVERY SINGLE FREAKING DAY? or perhaps my sinuses? or the STRESS of not having a job and not seeing ANYTHING even REASONABLY palatable in the classifieds?) while Izzy did NOT take a nap in my bed. Ahhhh....

The bus was 25 minutes late coming home (My mantra: FIRST day of school--they are ALWAYS behind on the first day of school! Surely they would call if....FIRST day of school!). Mary and Keith were STARVING--just as I expected them to be. All the kids ate raisins or what was left of their school lunches (I have a feeling Mary socialized more than ate today), and now they are playing and making SO MUCH NOISE that I did NOT miss today.

Yes, I enjoyed my brief respite as a mother-of-one again. Too bad this peacefulness will (hopefully!) soon be replaced by extremely-stressed-out-mamma trying to get three kids ready and out the door and on her way to work. (I have tears in my eyes just thinking of it).

I did have a job interview yesterday, but I doubt they call me back (lack of experience), and I don't think I'd even take it if they did (lack of $$$!). I think if this were 1995, and I had just recently gotten my diploma, I would SO take this job. But as a tired, worn-out, old, Mother, it just isn't too terribly appealing. Especially for the rate of pay--insulting, really!

So, if you'll excuse me, I must get some sort of dinner ready. And I must take some time to get on the classifieds again. And see if I can find where John hid my resume when he re-imaged this @#$% crappy computer. (It could probably stand to be re-done, anyway).

2 comments:

d e v a n said...

What a great first day for you guys! Good luck on the job search.

MR said...

It all sounds so wonderful and at the same time sad, still there are benefits to both SAH and a rewarding career!

Just kidding, that's not REALLY my comment.

If you lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana--you'd have a job on our help desk. I'd walk right in on my boss interviewing whomever and say "You wore THAT? Forget it, Missy."