Wednesday, February 11, 2009

On Health

Last week I had a cold. Late Thursday night I suddenly got very dizzy and "faint-ish." I just felt so strange...and I ended up not sleeping at all that night. Friday I still felt weird and spent my lunch hour curled up in a spare office trying to get my head to clear. A co-worker said, "You probably have a sinus infection." Ah, yes! That's probably it! I started feeling better by late Friday afternoon. But today I have another one of those teeth-hurting headaches. Probably weather-induced. (Rainy, gloomy 50 degree weather.)

I got home from work Thursday to a very disoriented-looking Mary. She was rubbing and blinking her eyes and complaining that she just couldn't get them to FOCUS on her homework. Within minutes, she started complaining about a headache. I sent her to bed to lie down. Mother's different stages of panic: a) brain tumor?, b) aneurysm? c) MIGRAINE?? When I went to check on her later, she was complaining of a stomach ache, too. She finally went to sleep and slept for two hours straight. She woke up much more alert and happy and obviously in no pain.

[John: Do you have a history of migraines in YOUR family?
Me: No, do you?
John: Not that I know of!
(Family: if you do suffer from migraines, and we're completely oblivious to
it, please let us know!)]

Fortunately Mary already had a physical scheduled with the doctor on Friday. (Doc: Is there a family history? John: ???) So Mary was told to start keeping a headache journal to see if we can find triggers. The doctor ALSO noticed that Mary's vision is a bit off: like 20/40. The doc wants us to take her to an eye doctor (new benefits! 4/1!). It's not necessarily bad enough to warrant glasses, but she may need them if these headaches are actually due to poor vision....

SO! That was our drama for the last week! And I see from miscellaneous FB posts and blogs that a LOT of folks have been fighting one nasty bug or another lately. Gah! I hate winter! And I HATE it when my babies are sick!

No comments: