Most of the school year I can get by without much of a fuss. I mean, yeah, things might get generally crazy in September/October as Girl and Cub Scouts get going, but most of the rest of the school year is...doable. UNTIL: April. In April baseball season starts. And suddenly I don't know which way is up anymore.
Baseball practice is already starting this week (tonight, really? WHY?). And whereas before we might have one or maybe two evenings with activities a week, it's now going to be EVERY EVENING. Because Mary has softball practice on Mondays and Wednesdays and Keith has practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays (and we still have Scouts on Mondays and Tuesdays!). And then of course there are the GAMES that will be starting on May 2--with both teams' coaches seemingly determined to have at least ONE practice a week. Oh dear. There will be a lot of chaos and running around and sandwiches for dinner in the next two and a half months....
I'm not really complaining--much. The kids enjoy it (er, MOST of the time), and we definitely want them involved in a sport of some kind. When I see other families and what THEY do, I know that we're not technically overdoing it--we are not nearly as involved as they are. But the chaos that ensues at this time of year always makes me just a tad harried--and ponder the necessity of Girl Scout meetings till the end of May--and whether or not we REALLY need to attend the Cub Scout farewell picnic. (And right now be really grateful that we re-thought and decided to skip the spring swim lessons.)
And I wonder what's going to happen NEXT year when we have THREE kids in Scouts and baseball. It's not going to be pretty.... Hmmm...maybe I'll hold Izzy back a year...!
1 comment:
My daughter wants to be in t-ball, lacrosse, soccer AND tennis this year. My son does not want to be in anything. A little balance would be nice!
Post a Comment