Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The longest day of the year

You Hoosiers had the first taste of the "fall back" time change Sunday. When I was younger and kid-free, I loved this time change. Extra hour of sleep--yes! Well, when you have kids, they don't understand the time change. Kids wake you up at 7:00am--even if it's the 7:00am that was YESTERDAY and not today. So, I have to get up "early" Sunday morning, and somehow make it through the whole "extra hour" day. You wouldn't think one extra hour would be much (especially when it technically happened at 2:00am and NOT 7:00am). Well, when kids are on a schedule, and you're trying to get them to change it by that much, an hour is a long freakin' time! I mean, what do you DO with an extra hour?

So I pulled up my sleeves and tackled that extra hour with a thankless task: housecleaning. Just to make it somewhat more bearable, I got the kids involved--with bribery! I made up a list of kid-friendly jobs, and for each task they accomplished, they got a piece of candy. I've never seen Keith and Mary less whiny or more helpful! Why didn't I think of this sooner?

And why all the housecleaning? Because I'm finally having "the girls" over to the house this Friday for a buy-some-crap party. Personally, I usually avoid these parties like the plague--except the one *I'm* giving--the kind where the wares are FOOD items. Only invite me to parties with food, folks! Anyway, John and I are in panic mode 'cause the house just doesn't quite seem ready yet, and we'd really like to buy new furniture before we invite people over. But you know what? If we waited until we could afford new furniture, we wouldn't be having people over until the kids were out of college! IF then!

So, the kids and I wore ourselves out cleaning (while John wore himself out with bagging leaves and mowing). What depresses me is that the house is already on its way to becoming a mess again. Despite my best efforts, I'll still be doing that last-second panic cleaning Friday night at 6:59, opening the door breathless to my guests at 7:00.

WHY, OH WHY did I do it?! Oh well. It'll be fun to have some people over for a change.

4 comments:

Marcus said...

Were you selling candles, tupperware, scrapbooking, or other devious stuff?

MR said...

You should just put in a drive-thru. "Welcome to Pampered Longaberger, may I take your order?" "I'll have some pillar candles and a medium basket." "Your order comes to $44.75, please pull forward." (Morbidly obese woman pulls up). "Oh, sorry about your weight..."

Anonymous said...

I should blog about my experience dragging 3 underslept kids around town while you chickies were boozing it up and driving through my finely manicured lawn.

Yeah....blog.

CAQuincy said...

FINLEY MANICURED!!! PSHAW!!!