Last night when I picked up Mary after work, her day care provider told me that Mary was reading to the other kids. "She's making it up," Debbie says, "but it's nice that she enjoys reading to the other kids like that." I looked at her kind of funny for a second. I mean, Mary loves to pretend, but I've never really known her to "make up" what she's reading. Mary then came upstairs and showed me her new library book. As Mary and I were talking about the book and her reading to the other kids, I guess the provider finally got clued in. "You mean she WASN'T pretending? She can really read that? She's in first grade, and she can already read chapter books?! Wow!" I admited that sometimes Mary does need help with a word here or there, but yes, the child CAN read chapter books already.
PRETENDING, INDEED. HMPH!!!
2 comments:
You'd think that the daycare provider would look at the book, when she could, then determine that Mary was indeed reading it. I know that I was sometimes surprised at the abilities of children. While having read and heard so many books at different levels, it's generally clear when you have a style change, therein is the clue. Good for Mary to show up the doubter.
"She can count, too... as a matter of fact, she was just telling me the other day how I'm paying you too much."
Post a Comment