Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Days of Non-Labor

*Warning! This post contains much griping and whining (shocking, I know!)*

Here was my Labor Day weekend....

Sat: Allergy attack and massive sinus headache. Ordered the kids to clean out their toy room and bedrooms in preparation for upcoming visit from father. Started laundry. Wrote out list of chores to be completed (even with dollar amounts the kids could earn if THEY did them). Nachos for dinner!

Sun: Worked 4 hours (my LAST early payroll! YES!!). Still had massive sinus headache. Took a nap (well, more of a "lie there while whining about aching head"). Did more laundry. Dug through a couple of the boxes in the basement. Got distracted with family albums and finally-uncovered, much-coveted, falling-apart-at-the-seams Jane Austin book. Kids not interested in chores. I'm not interested in bribing them or doing them myself. Wendy's for dinner 'cause we waited so late to go to the store.

Mon: More laundry. Got all the sheets/towels washed in house. Eventually gave up chores as lost cause (the house'll just get dirty AGAIN and I'll just have to clean AGAIN before father arrives next weekend) and returned to Jane Austin. Sinus headache down to dull nagging sensation--no longer booming. Finally felt I must do SOMETHING and sorted through all the kids' summer/fall clothes. Grilled sirloin for dinner.

Exciting, no?

John was actually more productive than I this weekend. He started out the weekend determined to finish Keith's room in time for the start of school (um, TODAY). There's so little left to be done, but once you start it, you realize there really IS more to be done than you thought. *sigh* He did finish painting the closet. Now he just has to finish painting the trim. He put in a valiant effort, but he still didn't get it all done in time for the start of school. Oh well--Keith really doesn't seem to mind!

John also got to spend some time brushing up his computer skills as his external hard drive bit the dust. John pulled out the old server and found all the family photos (which were the only files he really cared about). He lost all of his burned music--but basically because he figured he was planning on re-burning it all anyway, so he just "let it go." BUT that's 500+ CDs! Well, I guess it'll be a good winter project.... Um...IF we ever get Keith's room done, that is.

So even though I whined all weekend about my head and basically got NOTHING done, I'm kind of glad for it. It's the last weekend before school and Girl Scouts and all the OTHER fun fall activities coming up, so WHY NOT waste it with napping and reading and daydreaming(and yes, I did play with the kids, too).

Will post later about the first day of school--once I get the low-down from the kids on how it all went!

1 comment:

Beck said...

I'm waiting to see what's offered by our town before signing our kids up for things, so it's like this pretend calm when you KNOW that it's really storming. Eek!