Friday the kids didn't have school, so I set up a physical for Izzy and flu shots for the other two.
I LOVE my pediatrician. She's just WONDERFUL with the kids, and someone I would hang out with IRL. Well, as she's examining Izzy's belly, she comments on Izzy's outie belly button: "Oh yes, she DOES have an outie, doesn't she? Well, we can refer you to a surgeon who can fix that for her." It took a second for that to register with me. "Yes," she goes on, "we recommend it if there's still an outie present after the age of two--particularly for girls. No rush to get it done, though...."
At that, the conversation steered over to insurance coverage (her hubby works for the same company as mine--so we're both having to deal with the same changing-of-insurance issues right now). And with the other two kids around distracting us, and the general gotta-check-your-kid's-lungs thing, I didn't really get up a chance to pick up where we left off.
Surgery? For an outie?
Well, I mean, I know that technically outies ARE a type of hernia--but I never heard of kids having to have them fixed--and why girls in particular? Well, John is the smart one who explained it to me. Of course! COSMETIC. A girl is probably going to want to wear a bikini or mid-drift--so yeah, she may not WANT an outie.
Gosh, I never even THOUGHT of that!
So now all these questions are swirling through my mind (and obviously, I will have to call the doctor when I get a chance later this week). Should I put my three-year old through an unnecessary, cosmetic surgery just so that she possibly won't get teased later in life? Is it safer now than later--when she could just decide on her own? Will my insurance even COVER a cosmetic surgery like that? And she'd have to be put under--do I want to take that kind of risk for something so....well, silly?
I LOVE my daughter's outie. I love to tickle it and pinch it and say, "Look at that cute, little outie!" And Izzy loves it, too.
But what about 10-12 years from now? When puberty and peer pressure are starting to hit? Is an outie belly button as bad as having ears that stick out (I know there's a cosmetic surgery for THAT too)? Will my daughter be socially retarded if I don't get this thing tucked in NOW?
What do you think folks? Cosmetic surgery for a three year old? Or--wait until she's old enough to decide on her own?
10 comments:
My daughter (17) has an outie, and it's never bothered here, and she's never been teased...not even in a bikini, and she wears those too often for my taste. It used to drive my husband nuts. I guess, unless there is some other medical need, I would leave it up to her when she gets older.
I popped over from Swistle's after I saw your comment. My two cents is don't do it. I think if she's older and decides she'd like to do it, then discuss it with her. And maybe talk to your doctor about it again next time. Maybe she has more reasons for suggesting it. Who knows, I thought this seemed strange too.
With regard to science, there is a name that I don't know at the moment for making a situation worse while trying to fix it. This phenomenon rendered the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" as, in hindsight, it turned out that elective "repairs" were generating more problems.
And, you know, it's not out of the question that she may break with genetics and choose to be fat.
"No" on any elective surgery is my opinion.
Hi! I'm here from Swistle's, too!
I'd wait til she's older and let her make the decision.
I'd definitely wait until she's older. Let her decide. Cait has an outie too, and I think it's just adorable.
Thank you ALL! I was beginning to think I might be a freak because I had two (male) relatives tell me over the weekend that I most certainly should get this done. All I could think was: SERIOUSLY? It's an OUTIE!
I know a girl who drives and Audi, and she has no plans to get it fixed.
Oh, this is tough! I would ask the doctor if there were medical reasons to get it fixed. I would also ask if it could be done later, like when the child was a teenager. And I would find out if my insurance covered it at either time.
I don't know what I'd DO with that information, but that's the information I would want to mull while making the decision.
Take it from someone who has sat waiting for her children to come out of surgery....don't do it if you don't have to. An outie doesn't seem that traumatic and I'm with most, if she wants to "fix" it when she is older, then that is a decision she can make. Who knows, she may like her outie when she is older.
(The screaming and crying of them coming out of anesthetic alone is not worth it)
Good post to go...
I had a very long run around for a cure to my acne problems and finally i ended up with a cosmetic surgery and that worked out well for me... Dunno what you guys have in mind... Thanks guys - Navin
Post a Comment