Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Migraines, anyone?

Got the call from the nurse yesterday afternoon, "Mary's in here." I gotta give the nurse some credit. After the first rocky year at that school where she seemed to call us for every single whimper, she seemed to finally "get" Mary and that Mary can sometimes um, "over-play" her symptoms. So, yesterday the nurse waited until Mary had been sent there for the fourth time (by different teachers), and the nurse had actually observed Mary herself over recess before she finally called.

The nurse starts describing Mary's ailments. "Her eyes were bugging her. Her head hurt. She felt nauseous. She even dry-heaved a little." Whoa. Wait a minute....

*sigh*

After the first incident of an "apparent" migraine which happened months ago, and the feeble thought that maybe it was just a one-time occurrence, it appears that the Migraines are BACK. Crap.

It was almost the end of the school day, but John managed to get away and pick her up. By then she'd fallen asleep at the nurse's office. She slept for a little while longer until the other kids and I got home. Then she said she felt much better (except that her head still hurt just a bit), got up, did her homework, and played with her friends. She also said she felt just fine to go to Izzy's Girl Scout meeting (which she kinda didn't have much choice about as Keith's den leader called a last-minute Cub Scout meeting to which John had to take Keith). Anyway, we got through the meeting (we're up to about 11-12 girls in the kindergarten troop now!), and she was just fine.

She slept well last night. She was fine when she got up this morning. By mid-morning, she was back at the nurse's office. Same symptoms: blurry eyes, yada, yada, yada. Sooooo....I abandoned my post at work (which had JUST gotten "somewhat" exciting as I'd gotten a new time-killing, mind-numbing project today!), and we came home. Mary was so nauseous, she was afraid to eat in fear that she may throw it up. I gave her some Tylenol and tried to get her to go to sleep, but she begged to watch a movie instead to "distract her from her upset stomach." We watched Corpse Bride ($5 at Target!), and then it was time to go get the other kids.

Mary's only other complaint was that she felt a tightness in her chest and seemed to be having problems breathing. This only happened for a short while. When we were leaving to go to the school, she says, "It's gone!" (meaning the chest pain--she still had a bit of a headache).

I finally got a hold of the pediatric nurse. Tylenol or Motrin are definitely the way to go, and we're going to send a stock to the nurse at school for Mary to take when she feels the blurry eyes start coming on. Maybe if she takes the meds quick enough, she won't sink into that painful/nauseous hole and be able to get back to class.

And...I guess we'll finally get to start the headache diary. I'm wondering if the change in weather could have been one contributing factor. Definitely some barometric changes here the last couple of days--I know I've had sinus headaches for a few weeks straight now.

*sigh* Poor kid.

6 comments:

Mommy Daisy said...

Oh man! That's no fun at all. I hope that her headaches go away soon. Matt gets them, and they are killer. I can't imagine someone so young dealing with them.

MR said...

UM! UH! I...... oh, nevermind.

d e v a n said...

ugh. Migraines suck so bad! poor thing...

CAQuincy said...

MR--I was counting on an interesting comment from you since you're a sufferer, yourself? Figure you've already said it all on your blog?

MR said...

You didn't think that was interesting?

I have gone from barometric pressure to allergies in my speculation. But I think, as is so often the case in troubleshooting, it might also be both. That would explain, in my case anyway, why I get them infrequently (about 14 mos. apart). I do get them at times of the year when the weather is changing (May, September) but since my allergies are active at those times also, it's hard to say. All I know for certain is that marijuana is the cure; I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it's the cure.

Flibberty said...

Poor kid indeed! I get ocular migraines and they SUCK. I've gotten them since high school and the best OTC drug I found with Excedrin tension headache. I take it at the first sign of "blurry" vision and I'm usually able to stave off the debilitating pain portion.