OK, for the non-family members out there....
John and I were pretty much engaged from the words, "Hi, nice to meet you." We were in no general rush to actually walk down the aisle, though (and really, considered just NOT). Anyway, while we were in this general limbo, we had lots of discussions about what do with our last names if we got married.
I liked the sound of my last name, but I was iffy about keeping it and thought that hyphenating it with John's name would be a tad too much.
John didn't particularly care for his last name (too much name-calling as a kid, I guess), but he most certainly did not want to hyphenate nor take MY name.
One day while we were working our respective jobs, John just calls me up right out of the blue. "Hey! I got it! We'll COMBINE our names!" He took the first part of my name and the last part of his--and it created a really cool-sounding name.
A while later when we finally got off our butts and went to the Justice of the Peace, we asked, and sure enough, we could do that.
We've looked it up. We are now the only five people with our last name. It's unique and says a lot about us as a couple, I think. (Too bad not everybody could do it. Some name combinations just CAN'T work!)
2 comments:
That is SO cool! I love it! You really did create a family of your own.
Wow! That IS cool!
Post a Comment