Friday, February 23, 2007

Aunts and Uncles and Cousins! Oh my!

My mother helped me find a not-quite-so-astronomical (but still painful!) fare, and so thankfully, I did get to go my grandmother's funeral.

But first, we had to do a super-quick celebration for Keith's fifth birthday (which was Tuesday) before I left. Keith got to open his birthday presents and eat a little bit of cake Sunday night, then John and I spent the whole day with him--and only him!--on Monday. We took him to the Strong Museum and then to see "Bridge of Tarabithia" (slight spoiler alert: it's quite depressing and probably a little too slow for a 5-year old). Our poor middle child definitely needs more two-on-one time like that. Despite the gloomy cloud hanging over my head, it was a good day. I could tell Keith loved spending time with just Mommy and Daddy.

I flew out Monday night and didn't get in to OK City until 12:30 am. I spent the next two days visiting relatives I hadn't seen in years and met many, many cousins and the like that I'd never met before. I got to see my brother (who was sick as a dog with the flu, unfortunately) whom I'd not seen in five years--since he came to visit me after the birth of my son, as a matter of fact.

The funeral was Wednesday, and it was a gorgeous day. 70s and sunny. The service was very nice. Of course, my Aunt Mary had to tell the pastor how my brother and I had dubbed Granny our "vicious grandma"--and he included it in the sermon. Granny was described over and over again as being "stubborn," "fiery", and--my personal favorite--"cranky-ish." Gotta love her.

I flew out Thursday morning on a 6am flight. Cripes! But that was the only flight I could get! And for the first time I actually got nauseous on an airplane while we were landing in Chicago AND while landing in Rochester. Chicago had a lot of turbulence due to high winds and Rochester was cloudy and snowy. I guess maybe that's why? I spent the rest of the day lying on the couch exhausted and with a jittery stomach. Only one hour time difference and I had jet lag?

I feel old.

My poor Granny. She just never seemed very happy in her life--except that she did have a great sense of humor that you got to hear every now and then. She NEVER would smile for a picture. But I got to hear a couple stories from my Great Aunt Imogene (just LOVE that name) about when she and Granny were younger and lived together (Aunt Imogene was actually my Granny's best friend--AND she married Granny's brother). Aunt Imogene said that Granny Cloda used to laugh all the time in the ol' days. Makes me sad that I only got to see glimpses of it from time to time.

My Great Aunt Helen actually found a picture of Granny smiling when she was young. Beautiful picture in black and white--and yet you could still "see" the red in her hair. I definitely GOT to get a copy of that picture. It's too precious.

My brother and I also looked up a couple of relatives from my Dad's side of the family while we were in town. Great Aunt Carolyn and Uncle David haven't changed ONE bit. It was great to see them.

And then, oh my goodness, I just never realized how many cousins my mother had! I guess it only makes sense since her mother came from a pretty big family, but I had just never met them before! Wow.

I'm so glad I got to go to OK City.

Thanks again to all of you who expressed your sympathies.... I really appreciate that.

Oh, and just as a side note, I have a NASTY cold now. Guess it's to be expected since I just spent two days with a super-sick brother and Aunt Mary--not to mention four airplane ride and exposure to three different airports. BOUND to happen.

Ugh.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Not talking about drugs ... nice uppers with the downers. Yeah for Keith!