Monday, October 20, 2008

Picture Sunday...and a Quest

Sunday I FINALLY got little Izzy in for her THIRD birthday pictures. What? She's turning FOUR in a month, ya say? Um. WHOOPS!

So, yeah, I went out shopping and found her an adorable pink and brown jumper to wear. Then went all "Clueless Shopping Spree" on her and got matching pink/brown spotted tights and even some pink/brown plaid shoes (trust me, it was adorable). I pulled her hair back into a cute pink bow, and we were off.

There was a wait, with some impatient, hungry kids, but the photo shoot wasn't too long, and of course, the pictures were adorable. The pictures won't get emailed to me for eight more days, so I got NOTHIN' to show ya.

After the glamour shots, I went through a drive-thru to feed the starving masses and then decided SINCE WE ARE OUT....we should go find our Halloween costumes.

So, onto FIRST poor-folks store. I had seen a couple decent costumes there a few weeks ago--ah, but there was NO Power Ranger, NO Spiderman, and we only found the horns and trident of the Devil costume.

OK! Onto SECOND poor-folks store. Nope, the bargains I had seen a few weeks ago were GONE (should have bought them then, but I wasn't 100% sure what the kids wanted to be). So....

ONTO Walley World--where I know there isn't the biggest selection, but I'm running out of stores conveniently located close to the house. After digging and digging and digging and digging, we finally found the Power Ranger costume (Blue!) for Keith. The Spiderman costumes seemed to be either too little or too big for Izzy. It took a while, but I finally talked her into being Super Girl (at least now you'll be able to see her face!). Poor Mary. No devil costumes to be seen. More tridents, more horns, and even a tail, but no costume. SO...Mary decides she wants to be a witch instead. After looking and comparing over and over and over again, she finally picks the "Teal Witch." Lovely. Let's GO!

Not home five minutes and the costumes are ON. Power Ranger looks AWESOME. Super Girl is ADORABLE. Teal Witch is TOO FREAKIN' BIG. Poor Mary. The costume was just hanging on her petite little figure. "I look stupid!" she cried. I looked it over and decided that even wearing a shirt underneath it wouldn't help.

So I calmed my child down by telling her that I would continue the quest for the Devil costume on my lunch hours from work.

I found one yesterday, but the costume was a size smaller than I ordinarily would have bought her. Double-checking on their return policy (I had until Friday!), I went ahead and bought it. (Just a note here to mention that I KNOW I should not be surprised, but it simply blows my mind how skanky costumes--FOR EIGHT-YEAR OLDS--are. I mean, they have FRENCH MAID costumes in my daughters'--yes, that's right, even for the three-year old!--sizes! SERIOUSLY?! Um, so part of the Devil costume Quest was finding one NOT skanky and mother-approved.)

Well, Mary tried it on last night, and the skirt is a tad short (but she'll be wearing shorts and red tights), but the sleeves are actually too long. She was ecstatic.

So Mary is actually going to be wearing a costume one size SMALLER than her brother's. Huh?!

Quest: successful. Sorta.

No comments: