Monday, January 12, 2009

Delurking Day! And a Funny Story about my Goofy Kid



One night a while back, not long after I went to bed, Mary wakes up in one of her normal nightmare/terror ways, crying out, "No! No! No! No!" (Keith's pranks and tortures apparently follow her in her sleep.) I went in to check on her, and she's starting to climb down the ladder to her bunk. "Hey, kid, are you OK?" She nods yes, and crawls back up in her bed.

Minutes later, I'm snuggled in my bed, and I hear her getting into her dresser drawers. ???? Being VERY snug and lazy, I call for her, "Mary? What are you doing?"

Mary comes into my bedroom--completely dressed. "Um...Mary, why are you dressed?" "It's morning!" "Um...honey...? It's midnight!"

Now HERE's the funny part.... Apparently while she was rooting around for clothes in the dark, she noticed I had set out clothes for the morning on her chair, so she grabbed them and put them on.

...They were IZZY'S clothes!!!!

Do you know how hard it is to keep from cracking up so as not to hurt the dainty feelings of your 9-year old--who is already grumpy and groggy since it's the midnight hour--and she's wearing clothes FIVE TIMES TOO SMALL FOR HER?

OMG!! Sleeves up to her forearms! Jeans the size of capris! And she couldn't even fasten them! She got them over her skinny butt, but she couldn't fasten them!

(I was able to get her to laugh a little more the next day. WHY did you think it was time to get up when it was pitch black? "Well, it's always pitch black when I get up!" Hmmm....true, but when it's time to get up, Mom ALWAYS turns on the light for you!)

Is it too cruel to say that I wish I'd taken a picture?

5 comments:

MR said...

She's like: "I AM Izzy! Keith made me angry and I 'Hulked Out'"

Mommy Daisy said...

That IS a great story! One that I'm sure will be told forever.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, that is too funny!

LoriD said...

Too funny. My middle child is a sleep-walker, so we have many, many funny/strange tales of his midnight adventures!

Saly said...

Ha, that is hysterical!!