Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Trials and Tribulations of Mary's Teeth

Mary had to go to the dentist yesterday to get more fillings. Most of you know how I HATE to have baby teeth filled! But the dentist keeps pushing the NEED for it. And I didn't want Mary to have to go through another baby root canal, so I finally set up an appointment. "Conveniently" Mary also developed a sore on her gums this last week. I feared an infection leading to another root canal, so I was glad we already had this appointment set up so that I didn't have to go through the "should I call or shouldn't I call" fret.

Now, she had five more cavities (that's in addition to the three(?) we've already had filled in the last year?). The dentist was originally going to take care of it in two appointments, but he asked John (and Mary) if he could just go ahead and do them all at once. Mary was game. Alrighty.

(I still do NOT get why Mary's teeth have completely fallen apart this last year or so. Of the three, she's probably the best at brushing--and REMEMBERING to brush her teeth. And except for the candy-stealing incidents, she doesn't get a lot of sugary crap. What the freak?!)

So, Mary was a brave, little soldier and had five fillings (I was not there, and I don't know how many were on baby teeth vs. adult ones). Then the dental assistant came out and told John the verdict of the sore--it's an infection; they want to pull the tooth.

(I REFUSE to get myself all riled up over this. La, la, la, la, la, la....)

So, Mary was a brave, little soldier for just a while longer, and came out with five fillings and minus one tooth. John said she was basically fine until they went to the store to buy some pudding/applesauce/soup for her to eat for the next 24 hours. THAT'S when the tears started.

When I got home, she was just blubbering. Oh, the poor thing. How tramatic for her. I can only hope that this will help encourage her to brush more accurately and FLOSS! FOR CRIPES SAKE! FLOSS!!!!

6 comments:

d e v a n said...

Poor thing!!

Nowheymama said...

Poor Mary. That would stress me out.

LoriD said...

Some kids' mouths are just more acidic, I think. I know A LOT of people who have had to get multiple fillings/baby root canals for their kids. We have a dentist here and he said that his teeth were a mess when he was a child, but as his adult teeth came in, he had no lingering problems. I hope Mary got lots of popsicles.

MR said...

good comment by Lori. ...I mean, it could be entirely made up for all I know, but at least it was more than just flippant acknowledgment of your existence. :)

My comment is actually a question: What does the TOOTH FAIRY do when there's no Habeas Corpus? Does the dental office send the kids home with the tooth so they can at least cash it in?

CAQuincy said...

The dentist must have cut a deal with her as there was a $1 left under her pillow. Not sure if Mary noticed it yet due to the puking distractions of her sister last night....

MR said...

I can just see the tooth fairy pulling the voucher, signed by the dentist, from under the pillow and tilting it against the light to verify the hologram.