I have kept every single one of my Grandmother's quilts I can get my hands on.
Here is MY baby quilt. Still in pretty good shape for 37 years old. She uses coloring book pages to make the blocks....
Close up of the darling Granny Bunny.
The fabric on the back. Big-bummed babies--I love them! (Too bad they are starting to fade.)
A quilt Grandma made for me when I was about 7. I used this quilt on my bed for years and years and years (even in my dorm in college!) until finally the poor, tired thing started wearing thin and the patches started coming off. What I loved the most about this quilt as a kid is that she used fabric leftover from clothes she had sewn for the patches--so I would look at it for ages and would pick out the patches made from the clothes she made me or my brother or whomever.... Nothing reminded me more of my Grandmother's love more than this quilt.
A quilt Grandma made for my baby doll. Because EVERY baby got a quilt--even plastic ones. I loved this quilt because it was made from flannel pieces and was sooooo soft (and the border is made from leftover fabric from another outfit she made for me).
Mary's baby quilt. Grandma made it a bit smaller so that it was "more portable." I asked for primary colors--and the coloring book patches are back!
Close up. Grandma always called me her "Little Miss Muffett," so she embroidered it on the one square.
Grandma puts a "mistake" on each quilt for the babies to find. The adults have more fun looking for them, though. Here's Mary's "mistake"--a little bear she patched on.
Keith's quilt. Grandma was having troubles with her thumbs, so the actual quilting was done by machine instead of hand. She still hand-embroidered all the patches, though! I did not know I was having a boy, but I still requested a blue quilt because I loved the one she made for my cousin's baby so much. I love this one because it's really thick, and she used flannel for the back, so it's really soft,too.
The "mistake."
Close up of the funny little pig.
Can you find the second "mistake?" (Should I ask her if she intended to that?)
Izzy's quilt. And probably my favorite. I picked purple--she did such a lovely job with it!
Close up. Mary loved horses, so Grandma made sure to put a patch of them on the quilt just for her....
The "mistake."
A close up of the American Mice Idol. heh. (This was Grandma's favorite block. "Look! He's judging them!" And I flipped the corner to show the back--gorgeous dragonfly print. Really, really pretty.
My "new" quilt she made for me a few years ago--with matching pillow shams. It really pretties up my whole room (um...when the bed is made!).
Look how pretty!
My goal is to learn how to quilt, too. I want to make sure this tradition continues. I want to quilt my grandbabies' quilts....
3 comments:
Beautiful! I have a patchwork quilt so similar to yours!
What stunningly beautiful pieces for you to always have from your grandmother and to hand down to your own kids one day. I'm envious!
Wow, those are amazing! It makes me want to quilt!
I have a beautiful blanket that my aunt made Zachariah. It's so much fun.
Post a Comment