I have been helping Keith research his 2nd grade Animal Report. He picked tarantulas. Now, I don't mind spiders, for the most part. And I admit that when I was kid I always thought it would be kinda cool to have a pet tarantula. But I also must say that despite the fact that spiders in general do NOT cause me to run and scream from the room, and that I usually just scoop up the random spiders we find in the house up in a paper towel and then set them free outside--spending two weeks reading about, researching, and printing out pictures of tarantulas, CAN get a bit creepy. Even Keith got the shivers a couple times when we were readng how they capture/eat their pray ("SLURP, SLURP, SLURP" said one of the books... Gah!), and...well, I'm not putting the other creepiness we read about down here. You see, two nights in particular when Keith and I were fact-finding, and he was diligently writing in his BEST and NEATEST handwriting (*sigh*), I had DREAMS of tarantulas that woke me from a deep sleep at four o'clock in the morning, afterwhich I could NOT go back to sleep.
*shiver*
Mary came into our room at 6:30 yesterday morning complaining of a sharp pain in her right eye. Ho boy. I tried to get her to relax in bed with John and me, but it just wasn't happening. I finally gave her some Tylenol and then shipped the other kids off to school. Mary started getting nauseous and then she started vomiting. The poor kid puked most of the morning--and it was dry heaves all the way since she felt too ill to eat her breakfast. Finally, her stomach calmed down, and by the time Izzy got home, she was nibbling on toast and playing on her DS. I guess we can't blame math/school on THIS little migraine. Perhaps the change in weather--it was almost springlike this last week and then turned cold and snowy again overnight....
Other happenings. Um...well, I did have a job interview on Monday. It was the HR person from this company, doing a screening to see if I'm good enough material to move on to the next stage of interview which is the department and department manager. I could totally see myself in this position. Whether or not I was able to impress myself on this nice HR person, I don't know. I haven't been called back yet. She did say that she would not keep me waiting long, as she knows what it's like to be on the other side of the desk.... I did discover that I have a pretty good friend who works for this company, so I was kinda hoping the connection would help me out.
Ah well. If it happens, it happens.
The job market seems to have been particularly slow this last week or so. I've been hard-pressed to find jobs for which to apply. I'm getting nervous about that since I have to keep a log of all my job attempts for the unemployment office. Seriously, folks, I AM trying! Have you SEEN the want ads lately?
In the meantime, I have a resume "righting" workshop I have to go attend. Maybe that'll help.
2 comments:
Eww, spiders. I'd have the creeps too.
Poor Mary. It stinks being sick like that. Glad she's better.
Best of luck with that job. I know it's slim pickings out there. My dad was out of work for 9 months, and he's a highly qualified individual. He just started his great new job. You'll find something.
I knew Mary had a migraine as soon as you described the pain in the eye. My family has a history of migraines (most of us starting to get them as children). It's awful and scary. So far my own kids don't seem to have inherited the headaches.
Best of luck with the job hunt. I like what the HR person said about not leaving you hanging. I think it's so rude to not follow up with people who have been interviewed.
Post a Comment