Thursday, January 07, 2010

Where'd the days go?

We had the neighbors over for New Year's Eve with the full intention of playing Beatle's Rock Band, but once again, our chatting got in the way, and we never even turned it on. We did put all the kids down about 10:00 with the promise of waking them up to watch the Ball Dropping. Izzy and M never managed to go to sleep--they kept creeping back upstairs to see what the adults were all laughing about. Mary never really slept as Izzy and M were keeping her up. Keith--in his own room, in his own bed--was out like a light. (Of course, the poor boy had come down with a cold the last day of school--Mary's birthday--and spent ALL of his school break sick and coughing up a lung, so yeah, he was KINDA tired.) Little B ended up asleep in Izzy's bed as he's now too big for his own pack-n-play. We got the girls for the countdown, but we left the snoozing boys. They were way too comfy to disturb. ("Well, gee, honey, we TRIED to wake you!")

After we rang in the new year, we put the little girls in the big bed and Mary went into her own bed. NOW we'll get out Rock Band, right? Nah. We ended up staying up until 3:00 in the morning watching the South Park movie (it was UNCUT!!!!). Heh. Good times. And, we PROMISE to get the game out next time the neighbors come over!

The rest of our holiday was spent mostly like the first part--mostly in our comfy clothes playing on the DSs or Wii and generally hanging out. We did get to the mall once to exchange a few gifts. And on the LAST DAY, my co-leader and I decided to skip our traditional GS meeting and just go sledding (come if you want!). I brought all three kids, and we had a ball. When my toes started to get cold, we went home!

I did have to go to the Labor Department last week where I had to sit through a Power Point presentation and then get a five minute "How's your job search going?" session in a crowded room of over 30 people. Almost every tip/idea my person gave me didn't pan out. She made it sound SO EASY! I did sign up for a Resume workshop to help me tweak mine a bit (which I ended up having to cancel as then no one would have been around to get Izzy off the bus--and we're only down to one car [see below]--but I *am* rescheduling).

The brake light has been on in John's car for a few weeks now, so with all the snow we got, and the grinding becoming prevelant, he hung up his keys. Of course, that night as he's turning out all the lights in the house, he smells a gasoline smell coming out of the garage. Oh yeah--now it appears his car is leaking gas, too. John woke me up, and the two of us pushed his car out onto the driveway (didn't want to start the car until we knew just how bad the leak was!). It's not bad, but gee, that's ANOTHER repair cost, and isn't it MORTGAGE WEEK? Argh! It appears I may be feeding my family gruel for the next two weeks so that we can get Daddy's car fixed! Ugh!

This week I have spent just trying to WAKE UP. I'm just plain TIRED. I'm sure it's because I'm still out of it from the holidays and sleeping in for a week and a half. And maybe it's the weather (it snowed for over 100 hours straight from Sunday to Tuesday!). And maybe it's the fact that I basically spent two whole days attempting to sew together my first quilt (which at first I thought was looking cool, but now I'm getting antsy and having second thoughts--it's a GIFT, people!--and I don't want to spend money on more material and....). And maybe it's the pathetic job search attempts (the horror!). And...well, I'm just in a sorta funk.

It's hard to be all ambitious and career-minded in the middle of the winter. I want to just snuggle up on the couch with my Izzy and read a book. BUT! It must be done! (Or someone needs to hire me to do some free-lance editing from my home.... Anyone???) So, I shall have to fight the funk and get on the ball!

I don't really do resolutions, but I do think that I need to find a way to get more exercise in my life--and not to lose weight, but to maybe lift my spirits a bit.

Well, I do like a challenge....

Here's to a good 2010! Jobs for all!

1 comment:

Mommy Daisy said...

Sounds like great fun! I have great memories of spending New Year's Eve with my family and my parents' friends and there 3 kids who were closely matched in age to the 3 of us. Good times!