Saturday, January 05, 2008

Resolutions, Anyone??

OK, so I was going to do a New Year's meme, then I realized that my life was really pathetically boring last year, and I didn't have ANYTHING interesting to say about it. Wow. But don't worry, I'm not too bummed about it or anything. My family and I are healthy, and I can tell that even though I still need a bit of work, I'm definitely becoming a better mother. Baby steps....

Anyway, I don't usually do New Year's resolutions. John and I will go every other year (or maybe skip an extra year) and go vegetarian. THIS is a veggie year, and he just informed me the other day (um, AFTER the groceries had been bought for the whole week) that he wanted to go ahead and do it again.

It's quite the challenge as we've not raised the kids to be vegetarian, and we don't force it on them when it's our year to do it. So I have a lot of "short-order" meals I have to cook: the tofu meal for us, and something a little more "palatable" for the kids (i.e. peanut butter). I think this year I will go out in search of a new cookbook. The one I have is too difficult to do for a busy mom of three kids. I did find a kid's vegetarian cookbook in the library when we did this in '06 that had lots of simple recipes that I liked. Maybe I'll just go and buy a copy of that one. Either way, I'm thinking I may actually use that gift card for Borders (er, if I find it) some very, very sweet co-workers gave me when I abandoned my job last fall.

I guess my other resolution for this year is to find a way to stay home at least a few more years with my kids. I'd like to be here until at least Izzy starts first grade. In order to do that, I have to try to find something I can do from home to earn a little extra dough. I've already got a lead-in on possibly watching before and after school kids (there is a desperate, desperate need for more of that in this community--as other moms and myself have noticed!). Tutoring is also an option, but a little more difficult to pull off. So wish me luck on this journey!

2 comments:

MR said...

(guitar solo, scream)
so ya say ya want a resolution? Well, ya know... we'd all love to change the world...

Saly said...

The vegetarianism is so interesting to me--especially since I'm not eating meat right now, but not by choice---well, not by MY choice anyway. Good for you guys!