Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Storm of the Century

Last night a huge storm came through with fierce winds. Mary woke up freaked out of her mind. I didn't blame her. The sounds from that wind (and the pelting rain) would be enough to scare anybody. I convinced her the strange groaning sounds we were hearing were probably our storm door swinging and spent the rest of the night in bed with her--only way I could get her to calm down and go back to sleep.

The wind was still howling when Mary got on the bus this morning. And when I put Keith on the bus after lunch, I looked down the street and saw that a huge pine tree two yards over had been uprooted! The tree was hanging precariously over the road--barely hanging to the ground by one root. I had errands to run, so Izzy and I buckled up and drove to Wally-World, which is just five minutes down the road. The traffic lights were out, and when we got to Wally-World, the lot was empty. A sign on the door stated, "CLOSED--NO POWER." Needing stuff for my Girl Scout meeting tonight, I decided to try the grocery store just across the street. It was fine. On our way back home, we saw three more shattered/uprooted trees!

I'm still trying to figure out how our house--which has, I believe 26 living trees on the property?--managed to make it through without a collision from even ONE of them. And we didn't lose power once. Wow.

No comments: