Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Biking and cross-stitching and t-ball

My girlfriend remembered one of the bikes, and even though it's intended for Keith, Mary has been the one trying to ride it since it doesn't have training wheels on it--yet. After two days of practicing back and forth on our little driveway, she is so, so close to just taking off on that thing. You can just "see" the learning process as she's starting to "get" how to ride this darn two-wheeler. She was getting mad at me Monday night because I had stopped helping her get her "push-off." I stopped because I could tell that she just about "had" it and that she just needed to keep on trying. Oh, she's so, so close. I just know it won't take long now and she'll be a riding fool.

Mary has also shown an interest in cross-stitch. I've been working on a pattern again the last couple of weeks (that I've been "working on" going on 2 1/2 years now--sorry Jage). Mary is fascinated. So I decided to try to teach her. I found a tiny kit at the craft store for a buck--and she's loving it. She's still a little confused, but she's only done two rows so far. But she's definitely determined to get it down. How cool for my kid to actually be interested in something that she saw ME do. I couldn't help my big grin while I watched her do something that *I* was teaching her. And I know her namesake would get a kick out of it if she were around to see it.... *sigh*

Mary had her first t-ball practice Saturday--all others had been canceled up to then do to the cold, crappy NOT-spring weather. I was a little nervous since last spring she just didn't seem to have the proper "attitude" for it. She seemed bored at the practices and she would get "cross" if she didn't hit the ball, or if the coach had her play a position she didn't want to play (she pooh-poohs anything in the outfield). It got exhausting trying to teach her sportsmanship and good manners and how in t-ball everything needs to be "fair" so that every kid gets a chance at every position. Ugh. Well, John said she did just great on Saturday. First off, she's the only girl on the team. (We thought that kind of odd. Surely more girls are interested in t-ball than that?) But she apparently really hit the ball pretty hard and impressed the other boys in the team. She's so proud of herself. "I'll bet those boys thought I was going to be weak. I'll bet those boys didn't think I could hit like that! I'll show them!" It's a competitive streak I never expected out of her--and it's kind of fun. Mary has her first game on Saturday. We'll see if her enthusiasm stays until the end of the season.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Mary, competitive? I can't believe you wrote that phrase ... unbelievable.

Yeah, I could see that.

Cross-stitching bike-rider ... huh.

Cerpicio said...

I went to watch my five-year-old nephew play his first t-ball game. It was a lot of fun. He'd get to third and instead of running home, he's veer off to the dugout. They always had to have him run all the way to home first.