Tuesday, April 10, 2007

In retrospect...

...it's probably a good thing that Izzy, while in the buff ready to take a bath but waiting for Keith (who had rudely cut in front of her) to finish going potty so that she could go, couldn't possibly wait for him to finish and ended up peeing on the bathroom rug so that I had to pick it up and soak it in the kitchen sink.

...and it's probably a good thing that I have been trying my darndest to get Mary and Keith to PICK UP their dirty clothes off the floor every night and keep their room neat (and their pathways clean).

...and I'm grateful that we bought a house with hardwood floors in our upstairs bedrooms and hallway.

It must have been an ESP kind of thing. Because Monday at 4:20am I heard Mary get up and I heard that unmistakable "cough" that brought me bolt-upright out of a doze (Izzy had woken me up 20 minutes earlier fussing, so I wasn't sleeping deeply yet), and I had my wits enough about me to yell, "IN THE BATHROOM! GO INTO THE BATHROOM!" But it was too late. Mary, who was indeed attempting to come into our room, did an about-face, and proceeded to hurl all over our hardwood hallway floor.

Yes, I'm grateful for all of these things as Mary got puke all over the hallway, on the bathroom floor, on her bedroom floor, and even a spot on John's and my bedroom floor that I unfortunately did not notice until I had already mopped up (with Lysol!) all the other offending spots and changed the sheets (yay! we had clean sheets!) on Mary's and Keith's bed (good grief--she got more on his bed than her own) and was walking barefoot back into bed at 4:53 am. My clean-up, which only took roughly 40 minutes after walking into that "extra spot" at the end, was much quicker than it normally would have been because of ALL those factors! Wow!

Mary proceeded to spend all of Monday (which was a day that John was already "booked" to stay home with the kids as both day cares were closed) dry-heaving. Her timing is still off. She still doesn't understand that we want her to RUN straight for the bathroom (or pick up the garbage can) the SECOND she feels the puke coming on--instead of running for Mommy and Daddy first to discuss the upcoming hurling sensation. *sigh* John had to do lots and lots of cleaning yesterday.

Today she feels better, so after a morning of "Oh, I don't know. I guess my tummy still hurts," and after she was actually able to eat breakfast and keep it down, John dropped her off at the day care at 11:00.

Now I'm living in fear of the imminent phone call. 'Cause you KNOW not just one child will get away with the barfing flu like that. It's just a matter of time, folks.

Bleh.

4 comments:

Marcus said...

Ah ... horizontal puking and painting with stomache fluids -- an all-too typical adventure.

Are there allergies you and John have that your kids might have "acquired"?

Sara said...

I know. Eddie did not eat anything all day yesterday. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. I'm terrified that the barfing flu is on it's way to Buffalo....

MR said...

I have to say, I've never seen a buffalo puke.

"Mary! MARY! Don't play with that buffalo, you're going to make the poor thing sick!"

Swistle said...

I still remember when our firstborn was a toddler and started barfing on the vinyl kitchen floor, and Paul, in a panic, picked him up and ran him into the carpeted living room, then did a u-turn (to cover as much carpet as possible, presumably) and ran into the carpeted nursery, and put the toddler down on that floor, and the toddler kept walking to different spots to barf on. I think I must have spent two full hours cleaning up barf stains on carpet, when it could have been five minutes on vinyl. ...Hey, why did I clean it up?